Monday, August 07, 2006

Well, I'm shocked....

I just did something I never thought I would ever do.

I knitted! *gasp!*



even more amazing....I purled!!! *Eeek!!*

I had been watching an episode of "Knit one, Purl two" this morning just to see if there was any interesting yarn that I might want to try to crochet with. The French lady was teaching a couple of celebrities how to knit a scarf with that crappy fun fur yarn. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but when the French lady was showing them a step on how to knit, something in my Crochet centered brain had a an epiphany. I picked up the knitting needles than my aunt Jan gave me last year that I've just been using as back scratchers and casted on (I still screw up casting on, even tho it's the same way you cast on to do needle tatting.)

Then I just did what I thought I saw the French lady did....wouldnt you know it, I was actually purling, but hey! I actually got something that looked kinda like knitting.

Showed it to my dad, the only person I know who knits other than my sister and my mom's sister (neither of which live anywhere near me to show me these things) and he showed me how he knits and purls. (he Continental knits)

So, I guess I've crossed over to the Dark Side. I dont think I'll ever do much more with knitting other than scarves, but at least I added another skill to use with my yarn.

If I manage to make anything worthwhile with my size 11 knitting needles (I'm going out tomorrow to get some smaller circular needles) I'll post a picture.

At least my dad is here to show me how to bind off (cast off???) and what to do if I start dropping stitches or adding too many stitches to a project.

My hands hurt...apparently knitting uses completely different muscles than crochet does.

No comments: