Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May Day!

I just got back from watching the Mayday immigration protest that was just down the street from my house. Very interesting. I drove down 120th st towards Blondo, before the protesters made it to Blondo street. Saw a few counter-protesters, probably less than 20, holding signs up.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Talked to a few people standing along the sidewalk while we were waiting for the protesters to walk by. Most of the people I talked to seemed be more annoyed by the way the protesters were acting than the fact that traffic was all fubar along 120th st.

On the news, I'd been reading and hearing that the protesters were being encouraged to carry American flags. That's not what I saw as the protest walked past. Sure, there were a lot of American flags, but there was a lot of Mexican flags and flags from other countries. If they wanted to become American so badly, why did I hear so many yells of "viva Mexico"? I saw an American flag and a Mexican flag that had been sewed together.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



If there's another protest (and there probably will be) I think someone should suggest that they have Port-a-Potty's set up along the way, since as soon as a lot of the protesters saw the gas station that's on the corner of 120th and Maple, they pretty much overwhelmed the station wanting to use the bathrooms. The gas station attendents actually set up a monitor at the door and they were only letting 3 or 4 people in the station at a time after that.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was a little grossed out to see a few dozen people go BEHIND the gas station to take care of their business (ewww!! and no, I didnt take pictures of THAT!)

The thing that disturbed me the most, that actually pissed me off, would be the sight of someone, after having publically defecated behind the gas station, proceeded to use a minature American flag as toilet paper. That sight alone will probably compel me to join the counter protesters the next time there's a demonstration.

That was the point where I decided to walk back to my car and leave.



Walking back to my car I saw Father Damien (a well known Omaha Catholic priest who is very outspoken on immigration rights) I said hi to him. He made some joke about people going out for a "little" stroll. He walked into the crowd and joined them over in Tranquility Park soccer field. (Fr. Damien is the man in black walking away from me)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


As far as I know, everything was peaceful. I didnt see any violence, just a lot of people, dumping their trash and baby diapers along the road. Hopefully next time, they'll have people out there with trash cans, encouraging people to use the trashcans and not the side of the road.

No comments: